I normally wouldn’t have chosen this puzzle for myself. It’s a 500 piece, which is within my current ability, and the subject matter is cat-based…But Spouse-Critter (SC) fell in love with both the tigers and the idea of hidden images. I tend to shy away from both hidden images (the Magic Eye™ images give me vertigo) and glow in the dark ones. That being said, how could I tell SC no? He rarely steers me wrong.
I love how well protected the puzzle pieces are!
There were only a few hanging chads, and it’s obvious that the die stamp had gotten dull rather than a design flaw. The chipboard is made of recycled materials, and the pieces are of medium thickness.
I had a bit of trouble keeping the cats off my tigers! We did find that one of the images on the side of the box is meant to be seen when upside down, so you can use the box to store puzzle pieces and still see the image!
Once I had my frame in place, the assembly only took me a few hours, spaced out over some rainy days. The mix of standard and irregular pieces made for a great mental exercise. Matching stripes took what felt like forever!
It took some experimenting to get the glow to pop, those rainy overcast days hadn’t given off enough light. I got limited results with a led lantern, so SC went out and bought a black light bulb. Look at the glowy awesome!! The box says there are 16 tigers in the puzzle. I could only find 14, but as I mentioned before, I suck at finding hidden images. The ones I did find look amazing.
- Company: MasterPieces® Inc.
- Title: Hidden Images Glow in the Dark Jungle Pride
- Artist: Steve Read
- Year released: 2017
- Pieces: 500
- Cut-Style: Grid-cut puzzle
- Finished size: 15 x 21 in
- Bonus poster: No
- Made from recycled materials
- Made in China
- Box: Sturdy but lightweight, 8 x 8 inches
- Board: Medium thickness, recycled chipboard
- Cut: Cut with a steelcut die, very few pieces were not fully separated
- Image Quality: Excellent, great color saturation
- Finish: Slightly glossy with sandy texture where the glow in the dark ink is
- Puzzle Dust: Minimal
- Piece shapes: A good mix of traditionally cut and irregular pieces
- Piece Fit: Very good, small clusters of pieces could be moved without falling apart
Where to buy: “Hidden Images Glow in the Dark Jungle Pride” has been re-issued as a 550 piece puzzle and is available on the MasterPieces website for $12.99 USD.
MasterPieces Puzzles: Website / FaceBook
Disclosure: I received a complimentary puzzle from the manufacturer in exchange for review. The opinions are my own.
Thanks for reading, and please click the Follow Button under my profile on the right side of the page. To support posts like this in the future, consider joining my Patreon!